Everyone loves a good grilled cheese sandwich and believe it or not, one around the campfire is even better.
On our latest family camp-out I needed a fast, easy meal that could be cooked on the campfire. Grilled cheese sandwiches seemed like the perfect meal.
We had actually purchased Coghlan’s Camp Cooker and stashed it away years go. Lucky for us it was in the camper and we decided to give it a try, because those grilled cheese sandwiches were a wonderful end to a long day of camping.
The basic supplies for this camp fire meal are bread, butter, cheese and a camp cooker.
The great thing about grilled cheese is you can make them as simple or fancy as you like. Below is a list of delicious and different grilled cheese sandwich recipes for cooking over the fire. You will need to butter the outside of each of these sandwiches before cooking. Cooking times will vary based on the size and heat of your. Nestling the cooker on hot coals yields the best results
- This basic Grilled Cheese isn’t exciting, but it is yummy. Just choose your favorite deli meats to combine with bread and cheese. Smoked ham and peppered turkey are two of my favorites.
- Spice thing up with a Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese – Start sourdough bread and jack and cheddar cheese then spread some Jalepeno Popper Spread on the inside of each sandwich. For even more fun you can add crumbled tortilla chip. The Jalepeno Popper Spread can be made a head of time and packed in a cooler. The left over chips and spread make a great snack for the next days sack lunch.
- Grilled Cheese isn’t just for dinner. Bacon & Egg Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are great for breakfast – especially if you have leftovers from the day before. Start with your favorite bread and cheese then just add a few scrambled eggs and slices of bacon. Your eggs and bacon should be fully cooked.
- We’ve all had a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich, but have you tried a Grilled Jam and Cheese. For this one you will want your favorite bread, some provolone cheese and your choice of jam or jelly. My favorite is raspberry.
- The Farmhouse Grilled Cheese puts a fresh twist on the traditional sandwich. Combine sharp white cheddar, heirloom tomatoes and black pepper for a delicious treat.
- Buffalo Chicken is always a crowd-pleaser, so why not try it on a grilled cheese. For this one you can cheat buy purchasing a buffalo chicken salad and blue cheese dressing or you can make your own a head of time.
- Campers Pizza is one on the top of my list to try. Butter your bread and add pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni and any other pizza toppings you love.
Do you have a Grilled Cheese recipe that would be fun to try cooking over the camp fire? Let us know in the comment section below.
Leave a Reply